Monday, September 22, 2008

And then there was one

Only one trip by bike for the week of Sept. 15-19. (Tuesday the 16th). Monday was a load of stuff to bring in (lights, borrowed Personal Solar Telescope) and Weds. was a trip to Soule farm, late Union Meeting and the need to be back for book club at home. Thursday was a non-profit's (SLT) annual meeting soon after school, and Friday my folks came for a visit.



I COULD have gone on Thursday, and re-arranged Weds. to accomodate the bike. Instead I just biked on Tuesday. Such is life.


The weather has been cooperative and I realize that rain needn't be a big issue.

Felt really stressed on Weds./Thurs. partly because of the lack of success in one class, but I wonder if biking would have improved my outlook and made interactions much smoother.


The following week (Sept. 22 to 26) I managed two trips by bike (Monday and Thurs.). My schedule would have allowed Weds (and really, Tues. with bit of a rush). But Weds. morning I found the back wheel was rubbing on something. I couldn't find what it was as its pretty dark when I get going. That afternoon I got a cone wrench to tighten the brakes with (my prime suspect) and fiddled with the fenders. It turned out that the back wheel was not set properly and it was simply a matter of latching it down correctly (I must have moved it when I was fiddling with the bike earlier). In short there are plenty of excuses ready, but I haven't built up the drive to plow through them. I am feeling better about the bike and with a few more details (like new chain, and at least a rear tire - theres a side patch that looks like a small tumor) it ought to do for awhile (the cables and spokes are a final concern, but not about to break on me or they would have done so already.)


How do I build up the ability to plow through the small problems in the way. I've got the sweaty clothes dealt with, the packing materials (using the back bag/small pannier), maintaining much of the bike (oiling and keeping wheels true and pumped up), getting the light set up, and figuring out the best routes for different times. I need to get a smoother set up in the morning (maybe load the bike at night and keep it on the porch?), and take care of the longer term maintenance (the chain, wheels and free wheel).




No comments: