Saturday, August 30, 2008

Small change or paradigm shift

I'm easily attracted to new gizmos. Granted, with the help of low salary and debt I manage to avoid them (now I think of it - wouldn't a proper SLR digital camera be neat?). Yesterday I played with Google gadgets for spreadsheets (see the money pile in the lower right or the dial gauge above.) I came to the realization that so far my modest spending has approached $200 for getting the ancient Bianchi up to commuting. * I still have corroded spokes and old tires, and the gears in the back have so many worn and missing teeth that they would be more at home in a hockey locker room than a pelaton. I think it will be another $100- $200 before we are well set (near freewheel, tool, spokes, spoke wrench and tires). This means the so called savings from not using gas will take an entire year to see. And this is using an old, out of date bike not buying new. We are moving away from significant savings of fuel and money and into upkeep of another vehicle. See the post by libertarian Eleutheros (free man) in http://milesfrombabylon.blogspot.com/2008/01/every-little-bit-helps-right.html - post that challenges our actions that are in all "good intentions." If they aren't really meaningful (he ends with paradigm shifting as a goal) they are merely poor economic choices. If biking causes me to slow down and be more mindful perhaps it is good choice.

*Headlight, fenders, oil, new cage, stirrup straps, spare tube, tools (tire irons), tape for handle bars, new helmet

No comments: